Address: Murgon Barambah Rd Murgon QLD 4605
Sunshine Coast South Burnett
Next course date
Boondooma Dam 13 March 2021. Students must complete their online theory study beforehand.
Other course dates - locations
Boondooma Dam 14 March 2021
PRICES (includes online theory study and up to 1 hour per person of practical training)
Boat licence training - $400 (includes Assessment - No hidden fees)
Jet ski licence training - $400 (includes Assessment - No hidden fees)
Combined Boat and jet ski licence training - $750 (includes Assessment - No hidden fees)
Re-assessment Fee - $100 per licence per attempt - payable if a person is unsuccessful in their theory or practical assessment and needs to re-attend
Additional training - if you don't have access to a licensed person and suitable vessel for further on-water time to hone your skills, our trainer and vessel are available for $200/hour.
13 March - Saturday - Boondooma Dam from 1200
14 March - Sunday - Boondooma Dam from 0800
Our classroom option has been impacted by social distancing requirements and will only be available by special request and arrangement. We prefer that you study online. If that is not an option for you please talk to us about your requirements so we can evaluate our capacity to meet them in accordance with medical directives. There are no currently planned classroom courses but we have the capacity and approval to provide them if arranged with us.
CLASSROOM PRICES - NO DATES CURRENTLY PLANNED
Boat licence course - under review
Jet ski licence course - under review
Combined Boat and jet ski licence course - under review
When you choose Allstate Boat & Jet Ski Licensing Sunshine Coast for your recreational boat and Jet Ski licensing needs, you will experience our proven professional reputation and experience, a comfortable and relaxed atmosphere, thorough and well run courses and value for money.
• Easy to follow comprehensive training courses designed to accommodate everyone from the first time boatie to the more experienced.
• We offer an excellent online learning course where you study in your own time and at your own pace.
• Comfortable air conditioned room available when we meet for the theory assessment
• Our South Burnett trainer is Jeff Guinea who is a well respected ex officer in charge of the Mooloolaba branch of the Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol. This background brings a thorough legal understanding and a strong safety perspective to the courses.
• Jeff has Open Coxswain and Restricted Master Class 5 qualifications and extensive experience throughout Queensland.
• Most practical training is conducted on the Bjelke Petersen Dam but also we regularly visit Boondooma Dam.
• We use our fully approved 5.35 metre SeaJay bowrider and late model 3 seater jet ski
5 STEPS TO GET A BOAT OR JET SKI LICENCE:
The sequence of these may vary due to limitations such as tide or weather. It is required that the online theory is completed before any other step and the theory assessment is successfully passed before being permitted to do the practical assessment.
1. Enrol in and complete our online boat or jet ski theory training course with no upfront cost. The online courses include quizzes to develop your knowledge and understanding but they are not your course assessment. Once the online course is completed, book the theory assessment date as soon as possible as there is only 3 months permitted to commence the theory assessment.
2. Contact us to arrange the theory assessment, pay the course fee and receive a student information pack which includes our refund policy. Meet us at the scheduled time and date at our air-conditioned training rooms at the Sunshine Coast or South Burnett (or other suitable location by arrangement). Complete a multiple choice test of your theory knowledge. Using the resources of our classroom, we will retrain you on any topics with incorrect answers. You have two attempts to earn 100% correct answers. If still unsuccessful after two attempts a different exam on a separate day can be arranged after further training for an additional fee.
3. Once successful with the theory assessment, it is time for the on-water practical boat or jet ski training which will typically be in a small group of three to four people (one-on-one for jet ski) to prepare everyone for their practical assessment. You will practice: person overboard drill (don’t worry – nobody has to jump overboard), emergency stop, safely approach a floating object, port and starboard turns both on and off the plane, figure 8 manoeuvre both on and off the plane, berthing and unberthing, general navigation, vessel control, situational awareness and understanding speed and distance-off requirements
4. The practical assessment will need to be completed to the BoatSafe standards to be marked as competent. In some cases, extra training may be required before a person is ready for assessment. The trainer may suggest this, but it will be the student’s decision to move forward to assessment. If a student is deemed “not yet competent” they will be offered the chance to book a date to be reassessed on any competencies marked unsuccessful for an additional fee. This must be done within 3 months.
5. Once a student is marked successful with their practical assessment, they are deemed competent to operate a recreational boat - or jet ski if included - and will be issued with a Statement of Competency (SOC). This is not a licence. The SOC must be presented to the Department of Transport and Main Roads within 6 months to be processed into a Recreational Marine Driver Licence (RMDL) or a Personal Water Craft Licence (PWCL).
CLASSROOM TRAINING. Currently unavailable due to Covid19 restrictions but it's great for those that prefer the interaction, don't use computers or have slow internet. Our experienced and highly recommended trainer will teach you in our air-conditioned classroom. No prior study or coursework is required for this option and we look forward to offering it regularly again in the future.
Large groups, schools and clubs contact us for custom packages.
We regularly visit the South Burnett to run courses for your Recreational Marine Drivers Licence and Personal Water Craft Licences. Allstate Boat Licensing and Training is the preferred Boat Safe training provider for the following locations: Imbil (Borumba Dam), Kingaroy, Goomeri, Wondai, Nanango, Yarraman, Murgon, Proston, Dalby, Mundubbera, Gayndah (Bjelke Petersen Dam and Boondooma Dam)
Our trainer is Jeff, who has commercial skipper qualifications and invaluable experience working throughout Queensland in the Boating and Fisheries Patrol. We regularly run courses in the South Burnett district at Bjelke Petersen Dam near Murgon and Boondooma Dam near Proston
Our purpose built boat is designed with candidates' safety, comfort and enjoyment in mind. Our 3 seater Jet Ski is also government approved for licence training and assessment. A Boating workbook is provided for each student attending the course. You retain this for future reference – there is no need to supply your own. No previous experience is necessary and no prior study or coursework is required. If you would prefer to prepare for the day we can provide information to help you.
Persons under 15 years and 6 months are not eligible to attend the courses and are not permitted at the training.
Come and enjoy the relaxed and informative environment of Allstate Boat Licensing and Training at one of our courses at the South Burnett.
South Burnett district at Bjelke Petersen Dam near Murgon and Boondooma Dam near Proston.
Identification: Current Driver Licence, School Identification, Passport, Birth Certificate or 18+ card. If necessary call us to discuss other options.
- Payment: Bank Transfer when confirming course attendance, Cash or Eftpos by special arrangement.
- Clothing suitable for a boat or jet ski that is exposed to wind, sun and rain – we will be on the water. Please check the weather forecast.
- The boat has a full sunshade/canopy for sun protection and some shelter from light rain. A hat, polarised sunglasses and sunscreen are still recommended.
- Please wear footwear when attending your training and assessment. Shoes may need to be removed to board the boat or Jet Ski unless waterproof.
- Packed lunch and water.
Jeff is a brilliant instructor. I have a long and distinguished career as a high school teacher and senior member of the teaching executive for talented students and I can tell you that teachers of Jeff’s calibre do not come along very often. I picked his school at random from the internet and I feel as though I won the educational lottery when I signed up with him. He is patient, talented, encouraging, interesting, experienced and humble – a rare and winning combination in any industry. I have enrolled in boating courses before and have been a member of a very experienced boating club whose members have thousands of hours experience between them. I have sailed with people who have won Sydney to Hobart yacht races, raced in Fastnet, crossed the Atlantic, the North Sea, the Coral Sea, cruised the Med and the Carribean and I can tell you confidently that no-one comes close to this man’s natural gift for gently encouraging and inspiring confidence. If you sign up to this school, you are honestly getting the very best of the best teaching available.
A very interesting coarse. I would truly recommend Jeff Guinea. If you wanted to know anything about boating, this man knew it. He's a walking marine Encyclopaedia. This man and his coarse taught me a lot and thanks to Jeff I now have a basic knowledge of reading waters, markers,winds etc. If you need a coarse in boating give Jeff a call. You won't be disappointed. Trevor Lutkin
A big thanks to Jeff on the Sunshine Coast. And thanks to all the team members for an amazing way to obtain my boat license. The on line corse was really informative and the way it is set up is just so good. On the day I did my practical Jeff’s knowledge of boating rules and regulations was second to none, and the information he passed on to me will be a great help when I am on the water. Once again thank you very much for all the help and support.